Thursday 22 November 2012

Lost in music

 Its not often we escape from Rock HQ but last night was one such night and as where we went didn't allow any form of mechanical or electrical picture taking music copying device there are no pictures of where we were. Except that I took this one of the band from the TV advertising the gig, so its my photo, I think, anyway we went to see Show of Hands, a folk duo (although there are three of them for the current tour) and despite the fact that I am a die hard heavy metal fan and have the tinnitus to prove it following a Saxon gig where I got stuck in the bands right hand bass speakers (an incident totally unrelated to alcohol honest) I have now seen this folk band more times than I have seen Metallica. First on stage were a strange duo, this time two of them, called Matt Gordon and Leonard Podolak who entertained the masses with an eclectic mix of fiddle, harmonica, banjo, footstomping and hamboning. With a repertoire of songs that included Thats My Rabbit, My Dog Killed It and Push That Pigs Foot A Little Further In The Fire their Appalachian  music was so good that I bought the CD. Or rather I didn't, it was bought for me, more of that later.
Then the main act came on, Steve Knightly (centre) Phil Beer (not the red head) and Miranda (shes the red head) were excellent. Time flew by as they played most of the new album, Wake The Union (not Wake the Onion as one reviewer wrote, also its track Cruel River not Cruel Rivet) and a selection of the old "hits"
Once we were musiked out and forced to leave the theatre we decided to make the most of our freedom by having a late night curry. This is where it got really interesting.
 As when we arrived the restaurant was totally empty, never a good sign, but we settled to popadoms and chatted over diet cokes when who should arrive but the band. Sat on the next table. Totally star struck and not wanting to gate crash their late dinner I sneaked this pic of one of the best singer song writers still breathing as he ordered 100 pints of lager and 4 popadoms (well Radio 2 were paying)
Eventually I persuaded Beth to take the CD's she had bought me over to Mr Knightly, or Steve as I call him and get his autograph (Matt and Leonard had already signed theirs for me). This he did but I think Beth made him feel a tad old when he asked if she had enjoyed the gig, she had she replied and then she told him she had seen him 15 years ago and enjoyed that one too.

Day 21 30 30 lvl 16 cycle cross training 18.3 km Greatest Workout CD3

Day 22 30 30 training, cardio endurance, 12.3 km Queen Jazz

No comments: