Tuesday 8 May 2012

Health and Safety

Down at the Red Kite office I was asked to perform a small but necessary task, change a light bulb. No problem. A minor man test. The fact that I never even knew we had a light bulb to change in the "landing" at the top of a flight of steep steps was a mere detail, as was my deficiency in stature. Full stretch the bulb was still a few feet beyond reach. Not one to wimp out and totally ignoring the newly erected "Danger steep stairs behind door" sign I fetch a chair, still too short. Finally by placing two reams of photocopier paper, three stationary catalogues, a colouring book and several magazines I could just get my right fingers on the bulb. My left was still flailing air, thanks to a small accident a few years back, a fall from a non existent ladder(I thought there was a ladder, there wasn't, I fell), my semi mechanno left arm  has substantially less reach than my right, something I hardly ever notice except when reaching for anything like food, bike handle bars, dead light bulbs and running toddlers. More books were needed as changing a bulb even for a social worker (the bulb wanted to change, really it did) takes two hands. Eventually, precariously balanced on a tower of assorted hardbacks the job was done, no one shouted BANG at the critical moment (when the switch was flicked, except me, force of habit) and I managed not to fall off or fall down the stairs.
Why was it so vital that I change the bulb?
Well tomorrow we have our health and safety evaluation.

No comments: