Saturday 19 May 2012

Big and small

 Gwen's litter of Berkalitzas are exploring the world, this entails running around the runway in the Corral OK
 and sharing breakfast with creatures who's head is bigger than you and your litter mates.
 I was able to spend a few hours working on the aviary, a minor detail I had overlooked was that by building it as tall as  could reach, when it came to fitting the roof I couldn't, reach that is. The lack of stature on my part, coupled with no step ladder, scaffolding and anything else useful to get high enough meant that progress was painfully slow, and often painful thanks to over extending while precariously balancing holding planks, sharp metal objects and power tools. Gravity caused a few rethinks as did being described as an accident waiting to happen by my beautiful and oh so patient wife as she stood by with the first aid kit.
Once the frame and boards were in placed the final drama came from the 10 metre roll of roofing felt, the roof measured exactly 10 metres 10 centimetres. As the roll ran down to nothing I just hoped that the nice people who made the stuff were as slack on measuring as I was otherwise a trip to the builders merchant would have set the day back further and added to the cost. Thankfully prayers were answered and a whole spare 30 cms were hidden away inside the roll which meant  there was more than enough for an overhang and neat hospital corners before solving the puzzle of how to secure it to the roof. Next time I think about a nice surprise for my beautiful and oh so patient wife (the aviary)  I will stick to getting a bunch of flowers.

No comments: