Tuesday 22 July 2008

Lifes a Beach

Today I have been sunbathing.

Well I am on holiday and as I lay in the sunshine thanking my good fortune for living at The Rock it dawned on me that Tracey and I haven't actually been sunbathing since our honeymoon in Antigua in 2005. Seems like a lifetime ago, the same sun beats down but instead of the hypnotic noise of the waves gently breaking on the white sands I can hear the rhythmic munching of a Ryeland lamb called Daffodil who seems to think that the tastiest bit of grass is under my hammock.

Now you might be wondering why, given the whole host of jobs that wait to be crossed off the list I have been so indulgent as to lie sun worshipping in the garden, seemingly wasting time. You have to remember I am still nursing an arm that is broken, held together at an odd angle by space age technology, so that does have an impact on the type of jobs I can do on the smallholding. I am also in agony from having hurt my back wrestling Meg back over the fence in a one armed demonstration of shepherding machismo. Now unable to sit, stand or lie down without making oooh oooh sounds like an excited chimp I have resolved not to do any work until the pain is at least bearable.

It is fortunate that we seem to have taken the week off where summer has finally decided to show itself and the rain is at least for today falling elsewhere. So I have been sunbathing, reading a very boring book lent to me by Mr 20%, who also popped over to see me today. He thinks that as this web site is now read by thousands of people in over 34 countries every month I should write a book. Enthusiastically I told him of my idea of a novel based on a psychopathic ex paratrooper who hears voices, discovers a body and gets mixed up in a terrorist plot to blow up the worlds biggest Elvis convention. This was not what Mr 20% had in mind, he wants me to focus on Tales From The Rock. Given the feedback the site gets perhaps he has a point.

Anyway I was getting on really well reading the book until Daffodil decided to supplement her diet by eating one of the pages, this added to the damage caused by Trevor who had already sampled the cover while I wasn't looking. All I have to do is cover the book in suncream and drop it in the dirt and it will look like most of my other books I have taken on holiday.

Tracey is on holiday too, she wasn't sunbathing though. She can start once Rene has been emptied of the 14 sacks of animal food she went and collected from Kington Farm Supplies. Its a dirty job but someones got to do it.

I just wish I could help her.

Oooh me back.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: