Sunday 20 July 2008

Big girls and DIY

These are the pigs, they have grown very well, the one closest to the camera, Gerty, is trying desperately to achieve pet status by being the nicest pig in the history of sty's. They are big girls now, Gerty is clearly the biggest.

They currently gobble up four pounds of food a day given in two feeds and this will be supplemented by windfall apples as soon as they are ready.

The sun has shone all day on Rock HQ, this meant only one thing, the rabbits house should be finished, taking priority over all jobs. I was made to feel like a small child by the nice men at Kington Building Supplies, they have a knack of making you feel totally useless, which when it comes to DIY I am, but they pile on the agony. I rehearse what I want in my head so that when the knowledgeable one behind the counter enquires if he can help I can demonstrate my DIY prowess by asking for what I think I need without hesitation. He who hesitates in the DIY world gives himself away as one who is incompetent. Thus having measured, rehearsed the name and quantity of the corrugated metal sheet roofing, twenty six inches by seventy eight, four pieces mate and a bag of Dowty Spats, I fell at the final hurdle when told it doesn't come in 78's mate its 72's or 84's, whattle it be?

Damn! As I started the bunny penthouse I wondered about the roof size but was convinced they did 78's. The pressure was mounting, 84's and cut it he sneered knowing my ability with a disc cutter would, even if I found it intact after the Beagles have finished playing with it (which was why we cut up a static caravan with a junior hacksaw not a power tool) inevitably lead to another spell in casualty. Erm. Decide, decide, he who dares DIY's. The whole of the counter staff were now looking at me wondering which way I would go, bets were being placed, 72 and bodge or 84 and plasters.

Erm.

Four 72's mate and a I'll stick a bit of wood on the end. World order restored I left with the just too short roofing and on return to Rock HQ attached them to the bunny palace. Being as good as Karl at measuring the 72 inch pieces of metal roof were just a bit longer than my 72 inch rabbit house so it fitted no problem. Aside from smashing my thumb every other hammer blow it all went rather well.

We took a break as my back felt like it already had and as I sat in agony on the sofa, consoled by a glass of beer and a cheese and onion sandwich the phone rang. Our bales were being made, could we collect them.

I did the only thing I could do.

Finished my sandwich and hid. The bales will have to wait until next weekend.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: