Tuesday 18 March 2014

Understanding the Gravity of the situation

 Yours truly is on a ever tightening deadline to get the Swiss Chalet Style Kennel Block completed. It would have been finished before Christmas last year had the nice man who was going to concrete the planet for me showed up. So its been delayed by lack of man power, money, talent, genetic disposition (height) and perhaps the most crucial element of the equation, time. Even using child labour hasn't sped things up any. So today before paid work and after work continued at a pace.
 Once the timbers were moved to do the roof (why did I choose a complete roof over runs as well? A simple apex on the building would have seen us a lot closer to finishing and a lot further from bankruptcy) early doors saw work on the ...ahem...early doors.
 Six of the things were needed to fit the already fitted frames. Part way through I realised that for some reason I had bought enough door furniture and fittings for seven doors.
 My little helper kept a tally of drill bits and socket screw heads we were losing.
 So by breakfast some doors were ready and by after work time round two all was set to start lining the inside walls and putting the kennel partitions in. This was where I got a painful and timely reminder that we live on a hill, a very steep one, for as I finished cutting the first OSB3 board to shape, which unbeknownst to yours truly has all the friction adherence of ice when stacked flat,  24 of its fellows swept me off my feet. First indication of this event was me throwing a powersaw a safe distance one way while the rest of me fell another. Pain to ankle and knee was not the result of the saw eviscerating vital anatomy but  from impacts of sheets of wood and terra firma.
 Not only was pride and leg dented but lane was blocked to traffic meaning I really cheesed off my beautiful and oh so patient wife by spending 18 minutes picking up the boards thus making it impossible for her to get to shops for essential supplies before they shut. My punishment was doing my own first aid and a bacon roll for dinner.
 Little t did a passable extreme mountaineer impression and paused long enough for a pic before being chastised mightily for placing himself at risk of another woodslip.
By the time the chaos was cleared some partition work had been done, but not as much as I had planned, and no shopping got done either. Tomorrows a new day and there will be 2.3 hours more time expended on the big job.

No comments: