Sunday 7 April 2013

The importance of nutrition

 With several physical challenges looming closer the training programme has gone up a notch, which is just as well as a 470 mile bike ride needs more preparation than a 5 mile commute every other day and the BBMC which is only weeks away takes a bit more effort than a circuit of the Bonsai Mountain. So this morning I was out on my new iron horse clocking up some miles along perfectly smooth tarmac. There were one or two pot holes but nothing major, not worth bothering with really, its not as if the one we found would have shattered a wheel.
 Something else that I have had to pay careful attention to, aside from endurance training, is nutrition. Having over indulged on the calorie front for a while I am a shade over the ideal weight for a mega bike ride, every KG needs effort to move through time and space, so I have been training "in the zone" that burns off fat and then made sure I eat a healthy balanced diet the replace the energy used but not add to the waistline.
 So after today's high intensity thrash around the wonderful roads of Wales
I got back to a perfect post race breakfast that has the ideal blend of carbs, protein and bacon necessary for an athlete.

No comments: