Saturday 13 April 2013

Hide!!!

 I was going to call this post "Poles apart!" as BT Steve called and put a new pole up, left an old one for firewood and then put a brand new phone line in which means we have a landline to the outside world. Then I was going to call it "Back in action" as Applemac Steve fixed our steam powered PC, salvaging all the photos from the last 2 years (phew!) and I found the charger to the real camera so no more pics from the mobile (perhaps) so in all our technobustups have been sorted. Finally.
 Then I was going to boast about knocking four minutes off my personal best for 20 miles on my new steed, getting it down to 1 hour 2 mins 56 seconds, or bleat about the cloudburst that added 7 painful and freezing minutes to the day befores circuit. But as that would be dull in comparison to today's adventure I wont mention it.
 Today saw us in a wooden shed on the edge of a large clearing, technically it was a hide, but as we could clearly see it it wasn't really hidden and a shed conveys a more accurate picture of our location. The reason for our sitting in the shed was what was outside, 100's of Red Kites. On our visit there were some 200 airborne, when there was snow there was over 600 and the birds often cover 30 to 40 miles to get a free dinner.
 They were amazingly agile, and despite having a pretty good camera set superfast it was pretty impossible to get a clear shot of these striking birds, and the namesake of our fostering agency.
 Out of the 237 photos taken a couple were worth a second look, but none were of great detail or quality. I almost had lens envy when several "proper" photographers arrived armed with 300 foot lenses and I almost made the mistake of engaging one uber anorak in conversation but as he was boring enough to kill a goat by talking to it about shutter speeds I just poked myself in the eye as it was less painful than listening to how to take proper pictures. With all this action going on outside the shed, 200 birds of prey diving a swooping, renegade Buzzards making an appearance, crows robbing the feast and a party of Peahens looking for left overs I asked little t what could be more interesting than this?
Well a hole in a plank of wood obviously! Silly me!

No comments: