Thursday 24 October 2013

The Great North Run

 According to he who cannot be named I am an extreme introvert (yes really) and it takes a lot to coax me out of the safe realms of Rock HQ. Actually I only go where I am invited usually, saves a lot of time and bother, which is why yours truly was found 275 miles north of HQ yesterday lunchtime.
 We left HQ in torrential rain and knowing that its grim up north we had Miranda laden with foul weather gear and arctic survival rations (pick and mix and double deckers) but the further north we ventured the better the weather got. The sat nav with a sense of humour refused to talk to us throughout the entire journey and we almost fell at the last hurdle by not finding the house we were visiting.
 But there was a clue.
 Yes we were visiting people who are as nuts about dogs as we are, and this was partly the reason for our epic trek (look closely and you will see 4 dogs here!) it was also to sample some fab northern cooking which was a sort of beef stew sandwich (x2 for yours truly on account of the number of calories expended sat on his arse driving) and some wierdly tasty stuff called peas pudding which in an alternative universe would be humus but its made from peas and tastes of peas but looks like humus. Its a grower as far as I am concerned, the first ham and peas pudding roll was acceptable but the one I had today for lunch was a taste sensation. I will be sending for food parcels. Northern hospitalty was second to none and we plan a leisurely return trip with some of the clan in the new year. If they'll have us!
 Anyway back to the main reason for the 550 mile return trip in 13 hours, four double deckers, a litre of pop and one Burger King stop (vile poisonous muck and served by a teenager who hated life the universe and everyone in the motorway service area who had the temerity to order junk food thus paying her wages that funded her lifestyle choices such as more facial piercings than is necessary and aggressive tattoos, her mum must be so proud)
It was to collect this little chap who has been returned to the Clan. He spent the journey back sleeping, saving his energy for the big reunion with mum and dad. Today he has slept, played with Tasha, slept on my feet while I tried to do some work, watched the farrier sort the boys feet out, played tag with the apprentice and as I type is doing a creditable ying to Tasha's yang. Both snoring.

1 comment:

Andy_in_Germany said...

I can't help feeling that if my future was a lifetime of selling badly disguised heart-problems-in-a-bun at a Motorway service station with nothing but the consequences of Eton Boy's 'Austerity' measures to look for in my retirement, I'd start hating the world as well. Let's hope it stops at tatoos and ironmongery