Thursday 28 July 2011

Some things change....some stay the same


It was L Day today, been on the calendar for weeks, finally here, L Day, Leaving Day, the day I dropped one of my balls (see previous reference to juggling not a medical problem) I left my paid work and have taken one step beyond, out into the great void of freelance.
So some things have changed today, I cleared my desk, packed my photos, found all my mugs, and thanked all those that made working in RCT such fun. I wasn't sad about the actual event, it is the right decision, but I am sad about leaving some truly great colleagues from all departments who made life easier in the trenches. Sometimes it felt like a war zone, the building under siege, broken windows a weekly occurrence, death threats almost as frequent, dealing with damaged personalities has its impact and we dealt with it with humour and sometimes tears. Today the office laid on a buffet lunch for yours truly, and presented me with a leather bound filofax so now I have no alternative but to be organised. Some of us will work together again, in different roles, either through Red Kite or independent work, or meet up through the sale of pork based products such as our famous sausages. But for now a sincere thank you and I wish you all good fortune in the troubled times ahead.
Meanwhile life on the farm goes on, so some things stay the same, and before I could sample tonight's dinner and cold one I had to fetch pig feed for the growing and growing number of porkers living the life of Riley here at HQ. Thanks to the new feed supplier being much more accommodating I went over early evening and was left to my own devices in the big barn loading Trixie. The purchase of 100 feed sacks meant that I was able to bag up and load up quickly and whereas the usual load brought back to HQ was 500 kg today I hauled 1000kg thanks to the new way of loading. Hazel coped well with the load and it means we have halved the number of times we have to fetch feed. Its a win win, win as in its cheaper anyway and win as we have reduced our haulage costs. The sausages wont be cheaper though!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: