Saturday 7 May 2011

Kinda funny looking

We got hit again last night, the pic above is of Apollo the wonder horse stood on Oak Bank. Last night as I shut the poultry away in a an amazing thunderstorm, rain lashing down, lightening streaking across the sky I saw that we were missing two geese, Baby (last years only hatching) and Sid. As I got to the end of the kennel block, currently housing the is she isn't she pregnant Misty, there sat just below where Apollo is pictured was a fox, eyes glowing red in the storm, lifeless Baby goose hanging from its chops. These are not the creatures of kids stories, these are predators who are using us as a fast food outlet. I returned with Mr Beretta but the wretched creature had gone. Sid was left presumed dead in the nettles so I stood guard in case Foxy wanted main course. The rain hammered down, the thunder roared down the valley and lightening illuminated the kill zone. I was in my own Vietnam film. Water dripped from my nose, seeped into every part of my not really waterproofs but I was prepared for battle. Then movement, next to Sid. I raised the gun, lightening flashed as I eased off the safety catch and held my breath. No fox. It was Sid. He was alive. Battle forgotten, casevac required. Sid was pulled from the stingers and surprisingly after minimal first aid spent the night in the stables and today was his usual self save for a mark on his neck.
Tonight a proper ambush is planned.

Not all bad news at Rock HQ though. Just as I was walking from the Red Kite office yesterday I got a call from a Microholder making an offer I felt rude to refuse. Did I want two pedigree Mangalitza maiden sows? One in pig, she had been with a champion boar and was two weeks or so from giving birth to potential sausages. Simple answer, yes.

Complications set in, inevitably but we managed to empty Trixie, get up at sparrows fart and drive to the City where Bridget and Pamela were in a back garden. They were eventually coaxed into the trailer and within the hour stepped smartly into the pig pen where they made their beds and introduced them self to Morgana and Guinevere.

More on these two later, meanwhile here's some pics of how hairy they are, sheep-pigs almost. I'm off to play second fiddle to an assassin who has just arrived at Rock HQ.

R
Posted by Picasa

No comments: