Tuesday 21 May 2013

Going solo

 After caning it on the BBMC I would like to say my legs are back to normal but that would be a big fat fib. Still the money keeps being pledged so it was well worth it, more donations arrived today, one as I typed this. Spotty on the other paw is made of sterner stuff and has been running around HQ like he normally does, carrying assorted wooden items like brooms. I am pretending to be normal so took the long way to work on the bike today and for some masochistic reason agreed to a mega bike ride tonight.
 This turned out to be a mistake, not because of sore legs but due to blow outs on rear wheel. Just as we were agreeing the route I had to pull up and change the rear tube  after a sudden let down. Checking nothing sharp was in the tyre I fitted spare tube and used shiny gizmo gas thingy to inflate it. Success was shortlived as tyre went flat almost instantly. At this point I could have resorted to the old fashioned fit patch to tube method except gizmo had run out of gas and old fashioned bicycle pump was not in backpack but in the apprentice smallholders toybox. After several doh moments and self recriminations for not taking it off him when first spotted I pulled the eject lever on the bike ride and dialed home where my beautiful and oh so patient wife was waiting patiently for my return. Once she stopped laughing she saddled up |Miranda and rescued me from the kerbside. Meanwhile my cycling companion, who was also deficit pump, set off to complete the target mileage solo.
On a seperate and entirely unrelated note having seen the awful news from Oklahoma I will never complain about the weather again. Ok I might complain a bit, one day, but in context because we are lucky to live where we do and our thoughts and prayers go to all those who lost loved ones and property in the tornado.

No comments: