Wednesday 23 June 2010

But its a dry heat!


Maybe it was the heat, or that I was tired and feeling tetchy, perhaps it was one horse fly bite too many that needed soothing, or maybe I did it just because I could do it now as there are no fish, but as I walked back to Rock HQ, a faithful canine entourage around my heels I had an overwhelming urge that could not be resisted. The dogs watched patiently as I carefully climbed into the largest of the water tanks, almost brimful of ice cold stream water.
Once I got over the you are about to die from heart failure feelings and my breathing returned to a relatively normal state I almost floated and smiled at the six Bernese Mountain Dogs heads peeping over the sides as I bobbed around in 300 or so gallons of water thinking how lucky I am.
A long time ago, in another life I almost managed to kill myself in a small glacial pool, another boiling hot day climbing in the alps, a small patch of open blue ice melt water beckoned so I dutifully immersed myself in the nearly freezing water. The ice was beautiful, the colours amazing and I held my breath to look under it, in reality it could only have been seconds, my memory plays it forever. I surfaced and now the distance from the ice wall to the bank, which was only about 8 feet suddenly seemed like 80 as the cold suddenly began to have an effect. I could hardly move. I managed to get back to the shallow side and climbed out, rather like one of those walruses on the beach in a wildlife documentary. The sun temporarily went in as Matt my climbing buddy stood over me and said something like I told you so but with a few F words for punctuation. Lesson learned.
Today was drama free, except for Spotty taking off with my boot, but as this was in preference to chewing the inlet water pipe I really couldn't complain. As I dripped my way back to the front door I knew my impromptu dip was worth it, I felt good, I felt awake, but most of all it was worth it for the "I don't believe you sometimes" look from my beautiful and oh so patient wife.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: