Wednesday 3 February 2010

A day of two halves

I like smallholding, its such a contrast to "the real world" or rather such a contrast to what we used to do. Flash car, pointless shopping trips, meals out for no reason other than laziness, all that went when we started to live the dream. The car now is a mobile compost heap, at least that what it looked like in the car park today with its assortment of animal poohs and wet straw in the boot bumper recess. One thing I really miss though is the cinema, we used to go a lot, so today we made a special effort to go and see Avatar.
So the first part of the day was getting down and dirty on the farm, William paid particular attention to my repairs to the water system. I actually did the real work last night, clearing the silt out of the pipes, he paid closer attention last night, sitting on me. That's the only problem with using water direct from the stream, no not affectionate ponies, the pipes will eventually clog from the tiny dirt particles, oh, and frogs, frogs are definitely a drawback.

Geisha's leg was bathed and photographed, again its showing signs of recovering even though its still looking messy. She is the only goat that is exempt from the 2010 goat sale/giveaway/slaughter. Maggie further blotted her copy book today duffing up Maud, one of the Ryelands who happened to cross her path.

Once all the jobs were done we transformed from country bumpkins to cinema goers and along with Jill went to see Avatar in 3D. I wasn't sure what to expect but as far as stories about giant tree hugging hippy smurfs on a killing spree to save the forest goes it was all very entertaining. As I watched I kept trying to remind myself it was nothing more than a clever cartoon but is amazingly real and I soon got used to sitting wearing Buddy Holly type specs to get the 3D image. I suppose this will be the shape of things to come, someday all films will be made this way, our grandchildren will take it for granted as they will lots of technology that I remember not being around. Like mobile phones. The first one I saw was the size of a suitcase and was carried around, er, in suitcase. My mobile now is smaller than a key fob and can get the internet. Funny old world really.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: