Wednesday 3 September 2008

Pedal Power


















I found this bike dumped in the lane this evening, at first I thought Mad Keith had gone all high tech, then I recognised it as my bike, except cleaner than the last time I saw it.

Ben is on leave for a few weeks before going to the sun and sands of Cyprus where he is based for the next two years. As Rock HQ lacks the attractions of the sunsoaked island to keep himself occupied he has borrowed my bike and after paying for it to be serviced is setting out tomorrow on an epic trip.

Some while ago a friend of ours Sara, who is mental and currently claims to be an Aardvark with a massive sense of humour failure set out one sunny afternoon with a credit card and a spare pair of pants and cycled the length of the UK, Lands End to John O'Groats. She completed the trip of over 800 miles despite getting soaked and punctures in both wheels in the first five miles. Sara is a bit of a cyclenaut, her webpage is linked to this one.

I have always planned to do the same route, obviously quicker, but time passes and commitments grow so it never got the past the planning stage and the bike bought for the job sat quietly waiting to be put to the use it was intended.

With time on his hands and with similar lack of planning as Sara, Ben has decided to do the same trip. Good news is that thanks to him my bike is now as new again and when he returns I hope to be able to use the bike now and then providing my arm lets me.

It will also give me, assuming he completes the trip, two times to beat.

Not that I'm competitive.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: