Monday 1 March 2010

Of course its safe!

The first day of spring got off to a fantastic start, the sun shone, the birds sang, the windmill turned once and promises to provide more than enough to keep Rock HQ active. Even the worlds biggest digger being unloaded from the worlds biggest arctic in the only access we have to the outside world failed to put a dampener on the days proceedings. It almost did, the fact that the council have decided to replace the culvert bridge on the tarmac stretch of the lane and forgot to tell us would normally not be a problem, I mean who wants to leave here anyway, but as I had already left and was trying to get back the million tonnes of heavy metal barring Rene's way was a tad worrying. The nice digger driver and his friend Mr Arctic cleared the way for Rene and so we were safely home. I did point out that the digger was wider than the lane but that posed no problem when it just crushed the hedge flat.
Their arrival has thrown a small fly in tomorrows ointment as it now means we have to get up at silly o'clock and take the goats to the rehab centre. Never mind, I would crawl over broken glass to make sure they get there, so an early start is no drama.
Slight drama this afternoon when work got underway on the new chicken run. The posts are ten feet high so me being a shortarse anyway could not lift the bodger up and down in the prescribed fashion to bodge the posts in. Problem solved when I moved the chicken house and used that as a platform to work from. The fact that it rocked like a Chilean landscape and meant I was four feet up overlooking a steep drop into the lane was no problem, much. I asked Tracey to hold the chicken house steady while I worked, she misheard and thought I said tip it over so I fall off. Had it not been for my cat like reflexes gravity would have overcome my considerable bulk and I would have landed somewhere in the lane. She managed to stop laughing in time for a quick conversation with a member of the local militia who stopped by on a routine patrol on his quad. He nodded his approval at my handiwork with the bodger. "Your being watched, did you know?" he asked
"Yes" I replied "I paranoid"
He thought for a moment, he was on a quad, I was on a big box, if I was dangerous he could get away. He nodded. "Back there, bold as you like" a stubby digit indicated the direction he wanted us to look.
"Got a brass neck that one, watchin your every move"
A large dog fox sat the other side of the track eyeing up the chicken dinners, finally under the weight of our combined stares it gave in and lopped off without a care in the world. "Problem you got is that see" he pointed to the gorse clad hill "Get up close without bein seen, but that, that's a cheeky bugger, an he'll be back."
"I know" I said as he drove off waving
You see, I'm not paranoid, I know they are out to get me.

No comments: