Saturday 20 March 2010

Pay back



Having had such a lovely run of weather there had to be a time when we had to pay for all the glorious sunshine and today Rock HQ has been swathed in clouds and suffering deluge after deluge. It cleared long enough for me to walk the pack around the bonsai mountain twice. Once because I went to see the Technohermit, the other because I was so bored inside watching paint dry. We are decorating, I say we, Tracey is doing most while I moan about how boring it is, how messy it gets, how much furniture I have to move and whats that bloody cat doing sat on the newly glossed windowsill (I swear it was grinning at me as it jumped down and left a) ginger bum print and fur on glossy surface b) paw prints across oak floor boards)
It is the Technohermits birthday today. We thought long and hard about what to get a man who has lived on the side of a hill for the last 46 or so years, in the end we decided on a small hand axe. I have chopped some wood for him a while back and faced with his chopper I was amazed he ever cut anything so I knew he would appreciate a nice shiny new one. His best cutting implement is something that looks like it should be in a museum, used for laying hedges and about as sharp as a badgers arse. He also uses a meat cleaver which is sharper than his badgers bum blade but only in so far as a rats backside is sharper than a badgers.
To say he was happy with his birthday gift would be an understatement, the top half of his head almost fell of he grinned so broadly. Taking a few practice slices through the air he thanked me profusely. No problem I assured him as I stepped back out of swinging range, just be careful. Any plans for the birthday boy? I asked Well he was off to town to have fish and chips. Excellent plan. I left him chopping imaginary logs.
This evening the phone rang. He was just phoning to thank me for the axe, he had eaten the chocolate cake Tracey had made him and was just back from having a slap up meal of fishcakes and chips. I could tell he was happy. "One thing though," he hesitated, "one thing, have you got any plasters I could have?"

No comments: