Tuesday 16 March 2010

The real work begins


Its amazing how much can get done in a short time if you apply yourself. The maxim many hands makes light work rang true as three amigos set about the remains of the trees with a fine selection of power tools, blades and unending enthusiasm. After four hours one tree was cut into easily manageable chunks and loaded into the ubiquitous Ford Transit.

Steve spent a happy hour or so salvaging as many logs as he could from the militias field where the majority of the second tree had inadvertently landed and again in no time at all it was all stacked neatly along our lane. I set myself the task of clearing all the brash as my chainsaw was ashamed to be seen in the presence of Steve's shiny orange and white thing. My having a cold also made me less than handy with a motorised cutting implement and already having proved my capacity for self harm admirably by picking up a branch that I completely failed to observe was on fire (I let it go faster than I took hold of it) it would only be a matter of time before I attempted to wipe the perpetual drip off the end of my nose while sawing and having another free ride in a white, yellow and green van with flashing lights and total dominance when it comes to rights of way. Mrs Steve helped move the mountains of broken twigs and the huge concrete pipe section proved a very useful furnace. As the concrete superheated the moisture could not escape quick enough and for a while we ran the gauntlet of concrete shrapnel as it exploded with deafening booms.

Van loaded they left me to my own devices and soon I had cleared away all the cuttings from the extreme pruning session a week or so ago, cleared out all the confidential rubbish and disposed of several copies of the Yellow Pages and Phone Book that appear to breed on the shelves of the utility room. Probably not the greenest disposal but given the glorious sunshine today I am currently in favour of global warming.
Not all of the day was spent cutting swathes through virgin forestry and other manly pursuits, no, I had to do some real work. Luckily it only took a few minutes out of messing around but it was a job well done. Soon I shall be seeing a lot more of this building and a lot less of Rock HQ, but its a trade off I can cope with.
The fire burnt out and I sat for a while on one of the massive logs enjoying the heat from the embers and the sun. Spotty lent against my leg for a bit of fuss, I was drinking the most excellent cup of tea in the history of PG and all was well in my world. Overhead a Red Kite paused in flight for a second before swooping down the lane and behind Rock HQ.

A sign.

All was well, and all will be well.



No comments: