Tuesday 13 May 2014

Reach out and touch...

Its a funny thing this interweb. I remember it being invented and thinking it will never catch on and laughing at a friendly Wizard I used to hang around with in the mid nineties who one evening claimed to have done all his Christmas shopping on line. How could computers replace shops? Yet here I am today at University, through the internet, working hard at the office (ahem) again on line and most days resort to using the internet for even the most mundane of tasks like reminding myself phone numbers or recipes. Today during lunch I sent a blanket email to my address book informing all of my next self imposed man test (I'm at that funny age where I either seek my inner pastel((shades of shirts and sock, sometimes the two even match, thats socks and shirt being the same hue, not matching socks, although curiously they are for a change, how has this happened?)) or beast myself training for endurance events) the Uphilll all the Way event and through the power of the internet a long lost friend emerged from the websphere. We had lost contact some 10 years back, I thought he was in Canada, he thought I was ignoring everyone. Now I find he's running a top class B and B at the foot of Ben Nevis (Google Treetops at Fort William) and living the dream. He's also offered tea and cake for when I go up to the Highlands in August. How handy finding an old mate running a B and B at the start or finish of the 3 peaks 470 mile bike ride in 72 hours challenge.......

No comments: