Saturday 25 August 2012

Schadenfraude

After a full on morning at HQ which included rounding up escapee piglets, catching Pam the runaway Mangalitza, sorting four girl piglets from the pack for sale to a nice man who called BEFORE breakfast, playing nurse to Kayleigh who is a bit under the weather (not UXG, yet, but did involve vet, injections and drench, but hey its only money!) and generally managing the mayhem that is our life, I was really looking forward to cycling in to the office to catch up some essential research (essential research is not possible at Rock HQ with little t's interest in computers, books and anything his dad is looking at) not that I wanted to spend my weekend doing research into the failures of the looked after system, no what I was looking forward to was the ride in. R200 might be badly set up but she does a fair turn of speed so Manflu and Biblical rainstorms were not going to persuade me to forsake pedal power in favour of turbo charged horsepower. So after a really heavy downpour, one which left the lane flooded and masses of deep puddles to aquaplane through, I donned the lycra and body armour and sallied forth to the feel good factor bikes provide. The Karma Police had other ideas, probably for my schadenfraude wry smile when the Technohermit told me that he had got 27 punctures in his back wheel thanks to the flail hedge trimmer, as my back wheel did a pretty impressive bang and the accompanying thudthudthudthud and sudden inability to stay upright told me that the odds were on for a car ride to work.
Late tonight I managed to salvage the crippled R200, 27 punctures was just the start, but as I began to make repairs by taking the spare tube out of the spare front wheel from R100 I wondered if the front wheel in the car was still at 80psi as intended. Alas that was also flat. Both wheels more holy than Lourdes on Sunday thanks to the rain washing the thorns back into the road.

No comments: