Wednesday 25 February 2009

Tea for Two

Well what else could I call today's episode of Tales From The Rock?

I have just spent a very interesting and sociable hour with The Technohermit. I must admit I didn't know what to expect, and after my encounter I have to admit if I had any expectations they were not fulfilled. I didn't need my running shoes and I was right not to go armed to the teeth, I refused even a small concealed weapon, just in case he detected it by some strange sixth sense and got offended.

First of all he invited me inside, and second I was offered a comfy chair which looked like a mastermind reject. The Technohermits offer of beverages caused my jaw to drop momentarily but I quickly recovered and chose tea over coffee, whiskey or red wine. As he rattled around preparing the refreshing brew, Yorkshire Tea with cows milk I mused on the fact that I would not have guessed I could have had decaffeinated Tetley with St Ivel powdered milk and my choice of three sweeteners.

Sat in the warm glow of a stubby candle he told me his life story, well the edited highlights and it was all extraordinarily interesting. He produced a photo album full grainy black and white snaps depicting lots of people and donkeys who have long passed away and colour snaps of unfortunate headless people. Their heads had all been cut off by his ex and now deceased wife who was , in his words "Never very good at taking photographs"

Luckily he could recognise himself and others by their jumpers. He gave me a present, a photograph of Rock HQ taken about twenty years ago, it looks very different to its present day form. I left him after just over an hour. How do I feel after tea with the Technohermit?

Very privileged and very humble.

No comments: