Monday 23 February 2009

No escape


No matter how busy you are you have to make time to check the animals at least twice a day. Tonight there was a lot to do so I considered for split second not wandering up to check the sheep. I'm glad I did because as the torchbeam picked its way ahead it illuminated the vast backside of Daffodil, a Ryeland lamb that has achieved pet status. At first I thought she had got her head stuck in a red bag but as I got closer I was horrified to find she was stuck through the fence and in her panic to get out had skinned both ears. A little blood goes a long way, but this was a lot of blood and she was very obviously hurt.




Luckily the bolt cutters were where they should be and within minutes she was free but suffering from shock. Tracey and I administered first aid and Daffodil is now resting in the "spare" goat house.

You really never know what to expect here.


No comments: