Wednesday 25 May 2016

It has been said.

 So a big day starts in your's  truly's world with a big breakfast, and we can see that I am still on the wagon as far as not eating meat goes.
 When I finally got going it was three hours later than planned so I did initailly think a slightly smaller ride was on the cards and so by lunchtime I was half way along the Rhayder Aberystwth mountain road following the Elan Valley, in the far far distance you should see with good eyesight the massive bulk of Cadir Idris.
 The site of special scientific interest draws tourists from far and wide but for the most part I was alone, save for the attention of suicidal sheep who timed their road crossing as I passed.
 To say I enjoyed this section of the ride would be an outright lie, much easier in the car!
 Eventually under threatening skies I made the Arch
 and further on could see the sea which provided a much needed morale boost as it was downhill to the beach.
 Once their the sensible option would have been to take the massive hill route back and end the day at 118 miles but being the non sensible type I steered a course for Machynlleth and made it in time to find the cafes all shut so had to make do with a shrink wrapped sarnie from the local Co-op where my student ID card givning me 10% discount was scrutinised closely as they obviously don't get many fat lycra clad over 50 year old students in this town.
 Outside my steed made small talk with a pack horse.
 Refreshed and refueled with 76 miles done and 74 to go we find yours truly much further on after the last substantial hill before home watching  the sun set.
 It had been a good ride, lessons learned, the longest ever done without a support vehicle or other riders but useful for the man test that is now 23 days away.
In total I did 150.2 miles in 10 hours 55 minutes including stops, an average speed of 13.7 mph with a maximum speed of 44.4 reaching the giddy heights of 1598 feet above sea level, a total of 10006 feet of climbing and a massive 13,808 calories burned off according the the gizmo. I was told I was mad doing this. I has been said!

No comments: