Friday 2 January 2015

Looking good

Normally this time of year there is a post looking back over the year with a few pics of the adventures, mishaps, additions, departures, friendships and fun times had at Rock HQ. Things have changed somewhat in that IT issues like the sun shining in the wrong direction or leaves on the telephone line line mean that internet access is, to say the least, unpredictable, and time spent trawling the archives would be wasted as the connection fails, and is in any case is time better spent extracting toddlers from animal pens, doing Thomas the Tank Engine puzzles, repairing Thomas the Tank Engine railways and entertaining toddlers in any manner of ways providing it involves a little blue tank engine and his associates. Attempts to wean him off this obsession and focus on things like Scalextric are working but progress is slow.  
So instead of looking back we are, for once, looking forward to events of 2015. Work has paid off with the construction of the Swiss Style Kennel Block meaning we can leave the ranch without fear of returning to an unholy mess created by bored Berners, and thanks to persuading a good friend who views time here as a holiday we have a couple of adventures planned. I have a huge man test set for 1-3 June, details soon, and a return to mountaineering is on the cards following the succesful traverse of Crib Goch late last year which boosted the confidence that I still possess the minerals and ability to take on such challenges after my lame fall of 2007 that had such an impact on everything I do.
Red Kite is doing better than I ever hoped in such a short time, plans for 2015 are massive  and given the team we have, no doubt will be successful.
The animals, who for a time looked like they were taking over the asylum, have been brought to order thanks yours truly knowing more about whats what, our project to fence everything, fit gates, build higher fences, and put locks on gates. New buildings are up, or planned, and decreased numbers, or rather decrease of species has meant that there is a spare stable (despite the new horse, Bullseye) that has a motley collection of gym kit and an ever expanding number of bikes (N+1 being the ideal)
And then there are the feed suppliers we have found (again through experience) who not only deliver for free, but on the day we want it, and also at vastly discounted prices (you would be amazed the deal you can get if you buy dog food by the ton) which has meant feeding the 5000 has not quite bankrupted us (lets not mention the vets bills)
University is looking good, providing I do the work, and I seem to have found not only a good topic to research but a top supervisor who is a bit like a cross between Jo Brand and my first social work manager, in other words, brilliant. 2015 should see me cross another hurdle towards being a Dr.
Providing I do the work.
The apprentice and rug rat MkII are bound to provide endless joy (mostly train related), and thanks to my beautiful and oh so patient wife I can carry on feeling like I am in charge while someone else steers Rock HQ through any difficulties I create with consummate ease.
Mid point of 2015 I enter a new stage of manhood, Grandfather. Not sure where that fits in the seven stages of man but its going to be exciting, not least of which settling on what to be called.
So a big thank you to all who made 2014 possible. Those who helped with the demolition, the building, endless fencing, childcare, loading, unloading, pig clubbers, horse botherers (and yes I will dress like a wedding singer to show off our magnificent Pronto) those following me on my bike during an epic 167 mile ride, the medics who repaired me following the epic 167 mile ride, the bike builder who built me a bike so I can ride 167 miles without crippling myself (lets see!), all those who went to Scotland, The Northern Contingent, all friends, family and  those who bother to put up with me, you made 2014 great.
With your help good times are ahead and 2015 is going to be amazing.

No comments: