Wednesday 14 January 2015

Halfway there

 Yesterday saw yours truly manage to exploit a weather window, ie. a gap in the storms where you could at least stand upright, and ride my bike to work. This had to be the mountain bike as the racing steed might not have coped with my bulk and the addition of a rucksack full of clean clothes, laptop, shoes, phones, research papers, food (lots, obviously) diary, notebook, and coat. Despite this a gentle ride in was much appreciated, the hum of the tyres, the sun on the face, wind in the hair, that type of thing.  Once at the office the clouds gathered and by lunchtime weather warnings were out and the bike was in the office, stuck halfway as I got a lift home.
 Snow fell overnight and this morning was perfect, crisp, clear, snowy, just right for delaying the usual pre dawn tramp around the Bonsai Mountain with a large number of Bernese Mountain Dogs until it was light enough to see the lovely views. This is the Ghost House, (don't look back!) and its not just me that thought there was a face in the upstairs window in this picture!
 At least that was the plan. I set out in the gloom of first light and headed off uphill. Black shapes raced past me, back and forth, and it became apparent that I was N+1 relating to the K9 quota. There should have been 5 and one Golden retriever but in the dark I was pretty certain there were more than 5 Berners.
This young man, Bear, should be in the cottage by the rayburn resting his poorly joints, but somehow he managed to mingle with the demi clan and head off up the mountain. He managed to get halfway before detection and so I turned back, thus missing all the good bits of the walk but saving the dozy dogs legs.

No comments: