Friday 6 February 2015

Common sense prevailed...for once

So there I was, poised to set off up the track to bag the summits of Pen-y-Fan, Corn Du and any other in reach before darkness. My work done, a perfect mountain day so I had the foresight to load up Gerry with my mountain gear, an hour and a half to nightfall, it was looking good. Except for my phone with only 3% battery. I pondered the sensible options of setting off into the wilderness alone without a phone in the snow and around dusk. No one knew I was here, a few minutes passed as I looked to the summit beckoning ahead and for once common sense prevailed and fat  lorry drivers crowded around the burger van saw me reluctantly throw my gear back in the car and set off homeward.
Which was just as well really. I parked to take this picture on my rapidly expiring phone, a layby unlike the other as this one had a phone signal. A message popped up, probably the worst type of message you can get, up there with "Your house in on fire"(I actually got that message once, and it wasn't a joke) This one said hope you got the message that your beautiful and oh so patient wife is in an ambulance en route the hospital. This was, as can be imagined, a surprise, and as I had no idea how long ago people had been trying to get hold of me due to lack of signal in the Welsh valleys I set off in some haste, via HQ for an overnight bag just in case. Thankfully super Grandma was staying so she had the boys and I could concentrate on the unfolding drama. Which it was. MBAOSPW was in A and E waiting patiently for yours truly and medics. We both arrived at more or less the same time, they were much more helpful than me but despite their best efforts she had to kept in for observations and dealt with properly the following day. In all a very sad and emotional time passed, I went to the supermarket to buy nightwear as the stuff I had packed from the laundry basket looked like a puppy had slept on it (it had!)
Finally after much TLC from the very capable medics she was allowed home, still looking like she had an encounter with the Grim Reaper, but very much happier to be reunited with the chaos at HQ.
Thanks to all those who have sent best wishes and apologies to those whom I did not contact to let know. Its been a tad busy. For a change.


The intermittent postings are due not only to drama but to BT who are currently upgrading the network around HQ which means the .4 a meg whatever that means broad band speed we used to get has been replaced by a lethargic slug.

No comments: