Monday 8 September 2008

None shall pass!


Happy to be heading home I jumped out of Rene and ran to the gate. It has to be said I wasn't paying attention, my focus was on opening the gate and avoiding Ben the no eared dog. We have a love hate relationship, he loves to hate me. When he was feeling sorry for himself after his mauling by the staffordshire terriers which left him horrendously injured, hence no ears, he mellowed and let me pat him. Hey I even gave him treats I felt so sorry for him.
Now his wounds healed his temperament has returned to his normal kill maim disfigure setting and so he waits my return when he either lets me through the farm yard unscathed or,if he feels inclined he rushes up to attack me from behind playfully nipping my calf, oh how we laugh.
So in my haste to get the gate open and return to the safety cell of Rene I missed the real danger lurking in the lane. I stood rooted to the spot as the gate swung clear, Rene chugged away happily in the back ground, safety was only feet away but I was trapped.
A lone figure stood in the lane facing me, a wheelbarrow at his side meant there was no chance of rushing him with the Renault 4x4. He straightened up, his eyes narrowed as he sized me up, his hands hanging loosely by his sides, his fingers flexed and relaxed. I looked over my shoulder, it was too far to run to the car I would never make it, I would be cut down as soon as I turned. In desperation I tried to control my breathing, not daring to glance at my watch for I knew that would be certain death. The tall thin figure took a step forward his eyes boring into me, I whispered a silent prayer as I saw him draw breath and say "I can see you're busy but...."
Nooooooooooooooooooo!
Murphy was back and had me at his mercy in the lane, I was helpless as the Irish monotone drove my braincells to suicide as he told me how he hadn't been to France this year but was going Thursday. What relevance this had to me I will never find out, he went on to tell me about the two horses pictured above asking what type they were and my life passed before my eyes as he went on and on and on. Praying for salvation it arrived in the form of his wife who chastised him for keeping me so long.
Again.
If you know anyone in France, warn them!

No comments: