Thursday 5 May 2016

A quest to be a Nerd

 A nasty chest infection has meant yours truly has felt less than inclined to do any training which is a bit of a downer considering the size of the man test in June. The rising sense of panic knowing its less than 6 weeks away has also proved a de-motivator as any training must nearly kill me otherwise its not going to be any good, right? Wrong. So back to basics early doors and a new target/programme to work to involving completing 1000 miles of training this month.
 First five miles were to take a different path up to Stanner Rocks and as this meant traversing the local quarry the two lucky dogs chosen as companions found themselves on leads for almost the first time ever.
 Once we were free of danger from the massive Volvos carrying huge quantities of the planet to various crushers they were back in relaxed mode and free to take in the views, the Bonsai Mountain our normal stamping ground early doors is the tall lump in the background.
 This is the summit of Stanner
 where Rocky and I took the compulsory selfie
 and then headed off downhill through the bluebells. This very steep descent prompted an idea about training part deux in the evening.
 So as we wended our merry way back to HQ
 via Worzel Wood I hatched a cunning plan.
 The evening routine over, with all animlas fed watered and kids to bed yours truly set off on almost the same route as early doors but this time on my trusty steed. No not a shitland, my mountain bike.
 It all went to plan, a very strenuous climb along the forest trail got me to the very top
 where we enjoyed the view
 before setting off on an insane downhill through the woods which equated to a near miss every .36 of a second until we got to the bottom, we being me and my bike. There were a couple of times I had to stop and question my sanity looking at the rocks and death traps ahead but as an adrenaline rush it was huge.
In order to calm down after such a frantic descent I got in touch with my inner nerd and painted some camouflage jackets. Once a nerd, always a nerd.

No comments: